This page discusses my identity in detail. It covers things I’m often asked and a few things people don’t think to ask. I’ve ordered them alphabetically, so order isn’t related to importance.
Class: I was born into a working class family and grew up on a council estate. I attended a state school.
- I’m dyslexic. I’m also dyscalculic, but this wasn’t handled as a separate thing when I was younger, so I usually just say I’m dyslexic.
- I’ve had tinnitus since birth. I have hidden hearing loss.
- I have delayed sleep phase syndrome / delayed sleep phase disorder. This means that I’m nocturnal.
- I have sensory processing disorder. I’m hypersensitive to most sensory input and sometimes hyposensitive to pain caused by injury. This also frequently leads to motion sickness.
- I have inflexible joints and get frequent lower back pain. I mainly manage this with exercise. I don’t have a specific diagnosis, other than it being common in the family.
- It would be fair to say I don’t process everything in ways deemed neurotypical, but I don’t have any neat label that ties that together (outside of a general non-neurotypical label).
Gender: I’m androgynous. This is a non-binary gender. I don’t have a strong pronoun preference. My title is Mx (so I would be Mx Blake on formal paperwork).
Handedness: I’m ambidextrous. I was initially trained to use my right hand exclusively, but after I left school, I reverted to using both hands. This means I naturally write, draw and paint using both hands.
Nationality: English (British).
Race / Ethnicity: I don’t know much for certain about my ancestry, which means I usually go with general terms like non-white and mixed race. The things I’m pretty sure about are subject to change, though it’s unlikely that I’ll ever have all the facts. I’m Romani, white, and probably have ancestors from somewhere Mediterranean. I don’t have any remaining cultural connections on the Romani or Mediterranean sides.
Religion: Pagan Christian. The pagan part is traditional British. The Christian part is non-denominational.
Sexuality/Romantic Orientation: Asexual and aromantic.
Species: I don’t perceive my own body shape as human. I have phantom limb/body sensations and it can cause difficulties with some movements (it’s harder to judge movement when perceived body proportions are different from actual body proportions). The exact shape shifts around a bit, but usually involves elongated fingers, membranes between the fingers, a tail, and sometimes joined feet. This gets classified in different ways by different people, from being a non-neurotypicality, to separate communities such as otherkin, to transspecies. I don’t have strong views on the classification side of it, outside of letting people define themselves in a way that’s comfortable for them.